Totara Park Riding for the Disabled Manukau urgently requires a new treasurer
We provide riding therapy programmes for the rehabilitation and enrichment of people of all ages who have physical, psychological, emotional and intellectual disabilities/challenges.
You do not need to be there for the riding days and Committee meetings are held only 9 times a year. We are a non-government funded charity run solely by volunteers; Therefore, unfortunately, there are no wages or salary.
We are paid in bucket loads of smiles!
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or ph: Anne 530-8673 / 021 482 220.
Expressions of interest are invited from anyone interested in a coaching role , as part of a team at Totara Park Riding for the Disabled, Manukau, Auckland
A person with experience in one of the following fields could find this an interesting and fulfilling part time position:
Please contact Cliff Dawson (Ph: 530 9490) if you wish to explore this exciting opportunity to contribute to a very worthwhile community service.
We welcome new volunteers to help with all aspects of our weekly rallies.
No previous experience with horses or people with disabilities is necessary as training is given. All volunteers follow NZRDA standardised training programmes to achieve the required proficiency. Totara Park Group has a number of coaches. Some are progressing towards completing their NZQA qualifications to become RDA Equine Coaches.
We also involve therapists and specialists who work with the coaches and sidewalkers to ensure the rider gets the maximum therapeutic benefit from the movement of the horse.
With every horse or pony we have a leader and either one or two side walkers, depending on the ability of the rider.
Volunteering is fun and healthy!
Volunteering with RDA offers you the opportunity:
- to work with horses and learn more about them
- to meet people and make new friends from all walks of life
- to learn new skills
- to benefit from exercise while walking with the riders
- to travel the country to conferences, seminars, etc.
- to help enrich the lives of people with disabilities in the community
What hours do we work?
On riding days (Monday and Thursday during school terms and weather permitting) we need our volunteers to assist with riders or act as horse leaders for the following times:
Mondays 8:30am - 1:30pm [Session starts at 9am]
Thursdays 8.45am - 1:00pm [Session starts at 9.15am]
There are 3 riding sessions each day. Some volunteers may not be able to stay for all rides but we are grateful for what time they can give us.
Volunteer hours are not just restricted to our riding days. Maybe you can't volunteer during the day but are interested in being part of RDA. Here is a list of other areas where we need volunteers.
- We own 8 TPRDA horses which all need daily attention
- Rider files, individual rider therapy plans, training programmes, rosters, etc., all need formulating and updating
- Committee work - including finance, PR, etc.
- Fundraising committees spend many hours raising money to help cover our expenses.
- It is estimated that over 25,000 volunteer hours are spent each year on our RDA Group