We welcome new volunteers to help with all aspects of our weekly rallies.
No previous experience with horses or people with disabilities is necessary as training is given. All volunteers follow NZRDA standardised training programmes to achieve the required proficiency. Totara Park Group has a number of coaches. Some are progressing towards completing their NZQA qualifications to become RDA Equine Coaches.
We also involve therapists and specialists who work with the coaches and sidewalkers to ensure the rider gets the maximum therapeutic benefit from the movement of the horse.
With every horse or pony we have a leader and either one or two side walkers, depending on the ability of the rider.
Volunteering is fun and healthy!
Volunteering with RDA offers you the opportunity:
- to work with horses and learn more about them
- to meet people and make new friends from all walks of life
- to learn new skills
- to benefit from exercise while walking with the riders
- to travel the country to conferences, seminars, etc.
- to help enrich the lives of people with disabilities in the community
Volunteer hours are not just restricted to our riding days
- The group owns horses which all need daily attention
- Paddocks, equipment and facilities need constant maintenance
- Rider files, individual rider therapy plans, training programmes, rosters, etc., all need formulating and updating
- Committee work - including finance, PR, etc.
- Fundraising committees spend many hours raising money to help cover our expenses.
- It is estimated that over 25,000 volunteer hours are spent each year on our RDA Group
During school terms and weather permitting
Mondays 8:30am - 1:30pm
Thursdays 9:00am - 1:00pm